Hydrogen Peroxide: Cure All with Emergency and Medical Benefits
Hydrogen peroxide or more commonly just called Peroxide has an extensive list of household, medicinal and industrial uses. Hydrogen peroxide is an odorless and colorless liquid very similar to water but has a distinctive bleach-like aftertaste.٭ It is easily available over the counter at stores, and is widely used in a number of different situations and scenarios. Following are the three main interest areas for a survivalist:
- Peroixde is good for getting rid of many types of germs in the mouth. Peroxide can also aid in removing phlegm and mucus. Swish a small amount of solution in your mouth for a couple of minutes and spit it out.
- Use 3% solution of Peroxide with a small amount of baking soda to create a paste. This paste can be used in place of regular toothpaste as needed.
- Water purfication: During emergency situtations Peroxide can be used to clean water, but remember to use 35% food grade variety.
- Clean toilet bowls by simply pouring it in, letting it soak for 30 minutes, and scrubbing away.
- Spray a 50/50 mixture of Peroxide and water on foot fungus every night and let dry.
- Bird Mites/Insect bites: A paste similar to what is suggested above for toothpaste can be used to reduce the itch of mosquito bites. This same paste will effectively kill the mites on skin with amazing results.
- Add a tablespoon of 3% Peroxide to 1 cup of non-chlorinated water and use it as a nasal spray. You will be surprised with the results.
- Ear pain remedy: For people who tend to get excessive ear wax build-up, can use a few drops of Peroxide in the ear to soften the wax enough so it can be removed.
- Journal of Food and Science has done a study in which it was concluded that rinsing produce, especially organically produced variety that may have been fertilized with manure, is not enough to kill dangerous bacteria. Peroxide can be an easy and effective way to clean your fruits and vegetables. Add about a quarter cup of 3% Peroxide to a sink full of cold water. Clean the produce in it then rinse with fresh water and let it air dry.
- Cleaning the wooden/plastic cutting board in your kitchens. Mixed with Vinegar, it kills the bacteria found on a regularly used board.
- Its bacteria killing properties also allow it to be used as a natural preservative for fresh vegetables (Sprayed on and cleaned in its 3% readily available form). Combining equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and warm water, and using it to soak used and old sponges, cleans them thoroughly!
- Since Peroxide also acts as a bleach it is perfect for cleaning stone countertops that have been stained by continuous usage.
This is link to a 3% Peroxide solution.
This is 1 Gallon 35% Food Grade Peroxide solution
I put this book as a reference because this has so many good reviews associated with it. Seems like a worthwhile read.
٭ Hydrogen Peroxide has a diverse set of uses, but being a chemical agent, it has to be used with some caution & restraint, following certain procedures!. With this said, it is extremely important to emphasize that FDA warns that if taken orally Hydrogen Peroxide can cause severe gastrointentinal problems. Ingesting it could also pose life threatening reactions.